Monday, April 27, 2009

Happy Independence Day, Sierra Leone!!!!

On April 27th, 1961, my homeland, Sierra Leone, gained its independence from Great Britain. Today marks the 48th year since that event occurred, and even though Sierra Leone has had its fair share of problems through the decades, including a well-publicized civil war which stole the lives of hundreds of thousands of my countrymen and displaced even more, Sierra Leone's future is slowly but surely becoming brighter. Although I was across the Atlantic Ocean during the Sierra Leone Civil War, I remember secretly listening to the my parents' conversation with members of my family in SaLone. I vividly recall the sound of my grandmother's voice on the phone as she told my dad that she had to go -- the rebels had just come to Brookfields, a section of Freetown, and she and others had to hide. Since then, it's been my aim to help Sierra Leone, and other countries like it, and to help stabilize them so that their people can live in safety and freedom. So, on this day, I say, Happy Independence Day, SaLone....this one's for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment